During the first half of the year one of the things we learned in 4th form was to use the Present Simple. Since one of the uses of this tense is for INSTRUCTIONS/DIRECTIONS we decided that it was a perfect opportunity to work on a RECIPE.
First, we watched a video from YouTube in which a nice lady showed us how to bake a butter cake step by step. Then, we studied the recipe. Here you have it in case you feel tempted to give it a try:
1 ¾ cups (
175 grams) sifted cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (
113 grams) butter, at
1 cup (
200 grams) granulated
white sugar, divided
2 large eggs, separated
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup (120 ml) milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven. Grease and flour a round cake pan.
2. While eggs are still cold separate the eggs, placing the yolks in one bowl and the whites in another bowl. Cover the two bowls with plastic wrap and allow the eggs to come to room temperature before using (about 30 minutes).
5. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and milk, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour.
7. Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared pans and smooth the tops with the back of a spoon. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 20 - 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
8. Cool the cakes in their pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes before eating.
Finally, we gathered all the necessary ingredients and the kitchen utensils we would be using later on. Of course we had some time to take some photos and strike some hilarious poses!
Finally, we started cooking. So if you are hungry, let us show you how to bake a delicious cake!
If you cannot watch the video here please follow this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-ej2Z7rQ-U&feature=youtu.be
*Acknowledgements: Many thanks to all the families that contributed lending us all sort of kitchen utensils!
XOXO, 4th Form.